Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pineapple Salsa

I hope you are all enjoying your summer! We finally got some rain down here after 3 weeks without even a drop! It has cooled off a little but it still seems to be too hot for this time of year. Usually around August it get so hot you can't breath and are compelled to run around with the least amount of clothing on as possible. For some reason June has been almost unbearable.


June 21 this year was not only my mother's birthday, but also Father's Day. Mom wanted to spend the day at the camp and have lunch so we all pitched in to fix something to bring. I fixed mac n cheese and pineapple salsa. The salsa idea came from a Pampered Chef party I went to at Crystal's house. The lady used a really cool pair of kitchen shears with 2 blades that they called a salad chopper to chop up all of the ingredients, but she had to cut them into smaller pieces to begin with so why not just chop it all up the first time instead of messing up another utensil?


Anyway....you will need a pineapple, tomato, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, lime, jalapeno, salt and pepper.






Cut up the pineapple into small pieces.





Peel the cucumber. Scoop out the seeds and chop into small pieces.





Mince about 1/4 of the red onion.





Remove the seed from the tomato and chop.




Remove the seeds and membranes from the jalapeno then mince.





Add all of that to a bowl.





Top with chopped cilantro.





Add the juice of one lime, salt and pepper.





Mix together and serve with tortilla chips.





It was a hit on a hot summer at the camp. Mark isn't a fan of pineapple, but he ate some anyway. I think next time I will add some cumin or chili powder to it to give it a little something extra. Try it out and let me know what you think. I will be making some L.A. caviar soon so stick around for that!
No, I haven't bought a new battery for my camera yet. Yes, I took the pictures with my iPhone. Sorry. It is still on my list of things to do.

1 comment: