Thursday, February 3, 2011

I'm Just Ducky, Deer!

Told ya I'd be back! Let me just tell you that I have started a new chapter in my life and I can't wait to share it with all of you. My friends have completely inspired me to get my butt back in the kitchen and do all the things that make me happy, so....I am! Hope you all like it, because I really haven't been this happy in a very long time.

A few weeks ago I made my first trip to South Louisiana to go duck hunting. After freezing my butt off going to the camp in the Hanko boat and feeling seasick for the rest of the weekend (don't ask), we got some ducks! My friend, Mitch, cleaned them and brought them home to the Island along with some deer sausage he had made from a deer he had killed earlier in the season. So, I decided to make some duck and deer sausage gumbo! Lets get started!

Wash the ducks really well and remove all pellets.




Place them in a pot, cover with water and add 5 bay leaves, a tablespoon of Italian seasoning, and 3 cloves of crushed garlic.





Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for a hour.



In the mean time, start chopping the Trinity (onion, celery and bell pepper)








Garlic



Green onions



Deer sausage





Now the fun part! Making the roux! 1 cup oil and 1 cup flour





Cook over medium heat until chocolate brown. Do NOT stop stirring or it will burn and you will have to start all over because the roux is the MOST important part! Yes, your arm will want to fall off when you are finished, but hey, that's the price we pay for making something awesome!




Add the Trinity, garlic and a little Tony's. This is when you put your face of the pot and take it all in!! Smells SOOOOO good!!!



Stir it all around until everything is coated.




Your ducks should be done by now.



Remove and let cool. Strain and reserve the broth.





Add the sliced deer sausage, 1 teaspoon of cayenne, 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 4 chicken bouillon cubes.


Add 12 cups of broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for a hour.




Debone the ducks and chop the meat into small pieces. Add them to the pot and let cook for 45 mins.





Add the green onions and let cook for another 30 mins.



Boil your desired amount of rice.



Now, I made this on a Saturday, but we were going out with some of our friends so I let it cool down and stuck it in the fridge. If you have made gumbo before, you know that it is ALWAYS better the next day!! So, Sunday I made some rice and topped it with the gumbo and OMG, it was SO FREAKING GOOD!!!! For Mitch to say it was the best duck gumbo he has ever had, is saying a lot! Mom ended up being a gumbo thief and took pot and all to her house for them to eat. LOL Oh well, just means I'll have to make more next time! Y'all try it out!


Sorry I didn't make it all pretty. I was hungry!!




Pretty cool to see it from begining to end, or at least I think so!




No comments:

Post a Comment