Monday, September 19, 2011

A Gritty Concoction!

Hey yall!! Sorry it has been so long since I have posted. Been a little busy down here on the Island. I think this post should make up for it nicely. A couple weekends ago I found a cute little restaurant for breakfast that had Creole grits on the menu and let me tell you, they were SO good!! I couldn't wait to get home and try them out for myself. They turned out even better than the ones that I had at the restaurant. They are so creamy and just down right GOOD!! Hope you like it.



To start, you will need to prepare 1 1/2 cups of grits. Quick or regular is fine. Follow package directions. You will need to end up with 4-5 cups when cooked.




Dice about a pound of sausage. the lady at the restaurant used breakfast sausage, but I chose to use Conecuh this time. Any kind of sausage or meat in general would be good.


 Chop up an onion and some garlic.



Saute the sausage until it's done



Add the onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes until tender. Remove from heat and place in a bowl.



In the same pan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter.



Add 4 heaping tablespoons of flour and combine.



Slowly add about 2 cups of milk and whisk until creamy.



Grate an 8 oz block of sharp cheddar cheese



Stir the cheese into the sauce.



Drain 2 cans of Rotel. I prefer one regular and one hot.



Add the sausage and onions to the sauce.



Add the Rotel.



Add the grits.



Stir to combine and serve.



These will make you hurt yourself!! I have completely outdone myself this time. The best thing about them is that they are even better the next day. I'm already thinking about how to make them even better! When I figure it out, I'll let you know. Anyway, yall try it out.

Sorry for the picture quality! I left my big camera at my office and had to use my iPhone.

1 comment: