Friday, November 6, 2009

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Hey Y'all! The Southern Foodette is back! Sorry to leave you hanging, but life has been a bit hectic here lately with the new baby and all. I'm glad to say that we are falling into a nice schedule now and I am finding the time to get back in the kitchen for some home cooked meals instead of heating up frozen stuff.

Fall is here that can only mean one thing at our house...soft air pellet guns! We are planning on going to the camp tomorrow for some fun with friends. Since I am the one that brings the food, I decided to make some chicken and sausage gumbo. I would make seafood gumbo, but I would end up being disappointed because it wouldn't be anywhere near my Mama's gumbo!
To start with you will need to slice a pound of andouille sausage into 3/4 inch pieces.


Cook them in a dutch oven for a few mins and remove, reserving the oil.



Next, brown 4 bone in split chicken breasts on each side for about 5 mins and remove.



Add a little bit more oil to the pot and whisk in 3/4 cup of flour. Yes, we are making a roux!



Keep whisking until it's about the color of chocolate. I don't like a really dark roux, so mine isn't that dark.


Stir in the Trinity (chopped onion, celery and bell pepper). Cook for about 8 mins.



Slowly pour in 2 quarts of hot water and bring to a boil.



Add the chicken, 2 bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, Creole seasoning, thyme and some hot sauce. Reduce the heat and cook for an hour. (Would have had a better picture, but Hayden was crying)



Remove the chicken



Add the sausage and cook for 30 mins



Add 4 chopped green onions and cook for 30 more mins



Cut up the chicken into pieces



Add to the pot and cook for 5 more mins.



Don't forget to remove the bay leaves before serving!
Spoon the gumbo over some rice and enjoy! I'm going to cook my rice in the morning before we leave, so, sorry there is no picture of it plated. I hope you all enjoy this recipe! I know we will. There is nothing like a gumbo to warm you up on a cool, fall day/night in South Alabama!

No comments:

Post a Comment