Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Shrimp Casserole

Everyday I thank goodness that I live on the Gulf coast! We are so lucky to have such good friends in the seafood industry that I don't think I have actually ever paid for shrimp, crab or fish. Just last week a friend of my dad's gave him a huge cooler full of shrimp. I mean nice, big shrimp that normally one would pay an arm and a leg for! Of course he passed some along to me.
After peeling all of the shrimp, I found this recipe for shrimp casserole and just had to try it out.
Preheat oven to 350


Cook 1 1/2 cups of rice.


Chop 3 celery ribs,

4 green onions,


2 garlic cloves and an onion,



and a green bell pepper.



Once everything is chopped,



melt a stick of butter and saute the veggies for about 10 mins or until soft. Season with salt and pepper.

Add 2 cans of cream of celery (Winn Dixie didn't have cream of shrimp) and 1 1/2 lbs of shrimp. I chopped my shrimp into smaller pieces since they were so big.


Add the rice and mix together. Place in a 13x9 greased, casserole dish.



Top with Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and Colby cheese. Bake for 25 mins.



Let cool and serve!




I think this casserole may show up at Thanksgiving. The rice was perfect, shrimp were really fresh and when mixed with the veggies and soup, it was a great combo. It was nice and creamy and makes you want to eat the whole thing in one sitting, but I didn't.


Now that I have shrimp coming out of my ears, I will have to figure out what to do with them. I'm kinda thinking about egg rolls, but I haven't decided yet. Maybe taco's? Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment