Monday, April 20, 2009

Biscuits and Gravy

Hey Ya'll! I'm back! Sorry to leave you hanging for a week. JW's school was out all week for spring break and in this house that means one thing.....BEACH TIME! We absolutely love going to the beach and our favorite hang out spot is Dauphin Island (click on this link to see me riding my pony during Mardi Gras and for DI info). If you have never been, come on down, you won't want to leave. Dauphin Island is a barrier island off the coast of Alabama. There are no red lights, fast food, putt putt golf or bungee jumps but it does have beautiful beaches and a boat load of history. My parents live on the East end of the island near Fort Gaines and our house is closer to the west end, within walking distance to the park and beach. Located about 45 mins from our house in Mobile, it is a great place to spend weekends and relax.


Mark and I actually met on the island 8 1/2 years ago at a bar called the Pelican Pub. I won't go into that at this time, but it is a good story. We have been together ever since so I guess you can find true love in a bar!

Anyhoo, JW and I hung out on the beach and at the park all week. Mark had to work during the week but we did spend Easter weekend down there with my family and gorged ourselves on ham, mashed potatoes, cole slaw, deviled eggs and stuffing. It was wonderful. Even the Easter Bunny came to see JW. Sorry, no pictures of the food. I was too busy stuffing my face. Remember, I am pregnant.





Now for the food....

Saturday before we loaded up my truck to head to the island, I made breakfast for my boys. I wanted something that would be filling since we would probably have a late lunch, so i decided on biscuits and gravy with scrambled eggs.

Pre-heat your oven to what your biscuits call for. I like to use canned biscuit because it is fast, easy and not messy. Place them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the oven when it is ready.





Brown up 1/2 pound of ground sage sausage in a large skillet.





Drain and pour off some of the fat in the skillet.





Melt some butter in the same skillet used for the sausage.





Add some flour and let it cook for a few mins.




Whisk in some milk, pepper and Italian seasoning. Stir until the gravy is thick but pourable.







Remove the biscuits when they are ready.




Whisk together some eggs with some salt and pepper.




In another skillet pour in the eggs to cook.




Remove to a bowl when the eggs are finished cooking.



Split a couple biscuits in half, top with the sausage gravy and enjoy.





If you have never had biscuits and gravy, then you must have them before you die. There is something about a buttery,fluffy biscuit and creamy gravy with chucks of sausage that just warms your soul. I love it. Try it out. If you are not a fan of sage sausage, you can use regular or hot. The sage sausage has a better flavor to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment