Friday, April 24, 2009

Oven Fried Chicken and Bacon Green Beans

Thursday night, JW and I had supper with my parents on Dauphin Island. Mom fixed fried chicken, mashed potatoes and green peas. All of which are my favorites! Sunday night, after a great weekend with my boys, I decided to cook some oven fried chicken and green beans. I was going to fry the chicken, but I didn't feel like making a huge mess. Plus I'm sure there were some calories cut by cooking them in the oven.


Pre-heat oven to 400


You will need some breadcrumbs, flour, Old Bay seasoning (or any Cajun seasonings), Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper. Combine all of the ingredients in a large zip top bag.





After washing the chicken, pat it down with paper towels and cover with butter (may have made up for some calories there).






Add chicken to the bag, one piece at a time, and shake to coat. Place them on a foil lined baking sheet that has been covered with cooking spray. Bake for an hour.





You may have to cover the chicken with a foil tent after a while to keep it from burning.


While the chicken is cooking, break out the bacon. Cut into small pieces and cook until crispy in a sauce pan.




Remove and drain when it is done. Pour off some of the bacon grease, but not all of it.





Add a can of green beans with the juice and let simmer for 15 mins or so. You can use more beans if you need to. It just depends on how many people you are feeding.





Remove the chicken from the oven.





Top the green beans with the cooked bacon. Grab a piece of chicken and enjoy. My neighbor, Claire, showed me how to do the green beans. I don't fix them like that all of the time, but they sure are good!





Try it out and tell me what you think. I still love fried chicken first and foremost, but since I had just eaten Mama's fried chicken, I didn't want my taste buds complaining. Also, I left the skin on. You can remove it if you want to, but who really wants to do that? For the beans, you can always add some onions and garlic. I do that sometimes when I don't have bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment