Monday, April 6, 2009

Corn Dogs and Mashed Potatoes

Happy Monday everyone! Hope you had a great weekend. Saturday we took JW to a classmates birthday party at the skating rink. Let's just say that he get his skating abilities (or lack thereof) from his dad. I hate to admit, but I laughed so hard it hurt. He could barely stand up much less actually skate. It wasn't long before he said screw it, I'm playing somewhere else. Hopefully his Aunt Meagan will be able to teach him how to skate soon.


Sunday:
JW and I made chocolate chip pancakes and enjoyed every one. Mark missed it. He had a late night so he slept late. Around lunch we went downtown to the Gulf Coast Explorium and had a ball. That was then followed up with some cheap Mexican food and a long nap. The only thing that would have made the weekend better is a walk on the beach. Maybe next weekend.


Now for the food....


Corn dogs have been one of my favorite foods since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I love living in Mobile because there is always some festival, carnival, cook off, music event or something going on and that means corn dogs are not too far behind. Can you really go to the fair, Bayfest or Mardi Gras parade without getting a corn dog? NO you cannot not! They are simply irresistible. Smother it in mustard and you are ready to go.


To start with you will need a pack of good hot dogs and some skewers. Insert 2 skewers in the middle of the hot dog.





Rub cornstarch all over the dogs so that the batter will stick.





Mix together some flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder and ground mustard.





Combine an egg with some milk.





Add the milk and egg to the dry ingredients and mix well. Dip the skewered dogs in the batter.





Place them in the hot oil, making sure that all of the dog is in the oil at some point.




Remove when they are golden. Insert dirty remarks here.




Now for the potatoes...


My Mama makes the best mashed potatoes in the world! I have tried, many times, to duplicate her recipe, but it never comes out like hers. Instead, I have changed it and made it my own. I am not too proud to admit defeat.


Start by cutting up some Yukon gold potatoes.





Boil them until they are tender.





Drain them and add some butter to the pot.





Press them through a ricer. If you don't have one, stop what you are doing and go get one. You will thank me later.





Add some milk, garlic powder, pepper and mayonnaise to the potatoes and stir together. Yes I said mayonnaise. You can't taste it, but it makes it so much better that you won't be able to live without it.






Grab a couple of corn dogs and a scoop of mashed potatoes and enjoy.






Caution:





If you decide to use the skewers for the corn dogs, the ends are pointy and sharp. Be smarter than me and cut them off. Obviously I had a brain fart.

No comments:

Post a Comment