Wednesday, February 25, 2009

BBQ Bakers

Recently our favorite BBQ joint, JR's, closed down leaving our BBQ cravings to go untamed. When JR's was open, we would always order the stuffed baked potatoes that oozed with butter, sour cream, cheese, meat and BBQ sauce. They hit the spot when you had a hangover and we just perfect for lunch or dinner. After weeks of agony, I decided to make my own BBQ. Having never tried to do this before, I was a little nervous about how it would turn out, but I knew I had to give it a shot. Since I don't have a smoker, I decided to roast it in the oven.


You will need some salt, pepper, dark brown sugar, paprika, cayenne and a 6lb pork shoulder roast.










Mix all of the seasonings together and rub them into the roast. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.







When your 2 hours are up, break out your dutch oven, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire, liquid smoke and garlic powder.






Mix all of those ingredients in the Dutch oven and add the roast.






Cover with foil, put the lid on and pop it in the oven for 5 1/2 hours. You will need to baste the roast every hour.






What you end up with is super tender meat that just falls off the bone. The meat is so tender that you can shred it with your fingers to go on top of the potatoes.






The last hour you will need to get your potatoes to baking or if you are me, put them in the microwave after you have pierced them with a fork all over and sprinkled with salt.


Cut open a potato and break up the inside some. Add butter, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, meat and BBQ sauce (Stubb's) on top. Make sure you leave the sauce on the table because you may feel the need to use more. I know I do.







I hope you all enjoy this tasty treat. Yes it will put you one step closer to a heart attack, but who cares? It's worth it! Try it out and let me know what you think. Friday I will show you what do do with the leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment