Monday, February 9, 2009

Sowing on Sunday

Yesterday my Mama called me to ask if we would meet her at Lowes to pick out some veggies and herbs for the garden at the camp. The camp is a 28 acre parcel of land we own that fronts Mobile Bay and Fowl River. It is just a wonderful place to kick back and relax on the weekends. After picking out what we needed and making a list of the veggies we forgot, Mama and JW (my four year old son) to the camp to get started.


My husband, Mark, and I drove over to Winn-Dixie to pick up something for lunch for everyone. After deciding on ham and cheese and bologna sandwiches with chips, we were on our way.


Earlier in the week my Daddy tilled the area that Mama had picked out for the garden and set the poles around it for the fence that would be put up to keep the deer out. Mama had already mapped out where she wanted the HUGE variety of veggies and herbs to go so all I had to do was hoe a row and plant the seeds.


In the center of the garden we planted some potted herbs such as oregano, sage, rosemary and one more that I can't remember. JW planted his strawberry plant in the center.






On one side of the garden Mama planted Georgia collards, Romain lettuce, cabbage and broccoli.







On the other side we planted Vidalia onions, red onions shallots and turnips.





Near the onions I planted a variety of herbs such as basil, dill, tarragon, thyme and so on.





We also planted a salad mix area that has mesculin, spinach and radishes.


After planting all of that we were worn out. We will be planting lots more veggies like carrots, lots of peppers, tomatoes, beans, leeks, potatoes and garlic. I will keep you posted on the progress. Hopefully we can keep all of the critters away from our veggies.




Gardening is one of the reasons why I love living in the South. My mother and grandmother have always had gardens and tons of plants in the yard. Only certain people are born with green thumbs and they have it. If it wasn't for them I would know nothing about the joys of growing your own produce. I will be taking a trip to Nanny's garden soon and I'll share that with y'all too. Keep in mind that Mama and Nanny are the ones calling the shots as far as gardening goes. I killed an aloe plant. No green thumb for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment