Monday, February 23, 2009

Conecuh Dogs

For Christmas this year we received a huge gift basket full of Conecuh sausage from Southern Building Structures owner, Mike. If you know me, then you should know that I love Conecuh sausage and I can eat it just about 24 hours a day. Out of the 3 flavors they offer, I love the hot and spicy. Mark likes the original and my parents like the Cajun flavor. I have a freezer full of sausage and a big slab of bacon in the freezer from this one Christmas gift so I have been trying to use the sausage as much as I can.

I really wanted a Conecuh dog with some onions on it and Mark wanted me to do some beans and rice so I did both, sort of. I didn't have any beans but I did have some black eye peas so I kind of ended up with hoppin john instead of beans and rice.


I started by cutting up some onions. Chopped for the hoppin john and sliced for the dogs.





While the onions are sauteing, you will need to start some rice.





When the onions are nice and soft, add some small pieced of sausage to the pan and let cook for a little while.






Break out the griddle and get it hot. I only have an electric griddle so I am jealous if you have one built in. Please don't rub it in!


When your griddle is hot, slap your sausage pieces (that you have spilt down the middle) on there to cook and don't forget the onions.





Back to the hoppin john. Drain and rinse your peas and add them to the pan with a little chicken broth.






When your rice is done, add some to the peas and sausage. You may have to add more broth, but you don't want it to be watery.





Now for one of my favorite parts. Drench a hot dog bun with mustard. Add sausage and more mustard down the middle. Top with onions. Put some hoppin john on the side and devour! Mark likes to put some on top of his dogs, but you don't have too.





I hope you all have a chance to enjoy some Conecuh sauage one day. If you cannot buy it in your neck of the woods, you can order it online. Everything is better with Conecuh sausage. No camping trip, cook out or hang over would be complete with out it!

1 comment:

  1. Love love love conecuh sausages! I'm from conecuh county, Alabama where they are made. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete