Monday, February 16, 2009

Mudbugs

Saturday Mama called me to say that Tina, a lady that works for us, brought us some boiled crawfish. I can never say no to crawfish so I raced down to our store to pick them up. There is nothing like a hot summer night with friends, family, beer and a ton of crawfish. I know it's not summer yet and I can't have a beer, but any time is a good time for crawfish.


I poured a few out in a bowl so I could snack on them while watching the tube. If you have never eaten them, have no fear, I will teach you how to get the meat out.





Select one of the "bugs" to eat.





Separate the head from the tail. Squeeze the head a little and suck all of the juices out. Don't cringe, just try it at least once. If you don't like it, then don't do it again. I happen to think that is the best part. Insert dirty jokes here.





Throw the head away. Pick up the tail and peel off the first joint of the shell. Pinch the bottom of the tail, put the meat in your mouth and pull the rest of it out of the shell. You can peel off all of the shell and pick the meat out with your hands, but the first way is the fastest, I think.





You don't get a lot of meat out of the tail so you have to eat at least a hundred or so before you get full. Ok so not really a hundred, but it seems like it. Most people will boil corn, red potatoes and sausage along with the crawfish so if you are not a mudbug fan you will at least have something to eat.


I hope that you all have a chance one day to enjoy these spicy little crustaceans. You will not be disappointed. Make sure that you wash your hands good when you are finished. Cut up some lemons for your lips, that will be on fire, and for your stinky fingers. If you don't know where to buy them, just call Buddy Grass Seafood at 251-443-7291 and ask for Tina. She will be happy to help you out.


Buddy Grass Seafood
2585 Hamilton Blvd
Mobile, AL 36605
251-443-7291

No comments:

Post a Comment