Monday, March 9, 2009

Garden Update

Saturday JW and I got up early and drove down to the camp to help Mama in the garden. In the past few weeks, the garden has come a long way. The onions are looking good all neat in their rows. The sweet peas are blooming and climbing. Even the strawberries have joined the party by producing fruit. Our salad mix is coming in very well and is almost ready to eat. It is almost time to thin back the turnips.

Mama and I planted some red stem spinach, tomatoes, tomatillos and more flowers on the other side of the garden area. JW planted his sunflowers and giant pumpkins. I can't wait to see how they turn out. We moved the fence so we have a bigger area to plant more veggies and herbs. Speaking of herbs, the place where I planted my seeds kind of washed away, so I'm not sure if they are going to make it or not. There were a few little green sprouts coming up, but it is too early to tell what they will turn out to be.

So far the fence has proven to be effectively keeping the deer at bay. Tracks can be found all along the edges but not inside, so that is a good thing. I will leave you with some pictures of the baby broccoli, strawberries, sweet peas, rutabagas and onions.











I almost forgot, but we did have lunch while we were at the camp. I hat a no frills turkey sandwich, but my Daddy had a tomato sandwich with mayonnaise, salt and pepper. I am not a big fan of this Southern treat, but my parents and grandparents love them. I need a little lettuce and bacon to go with mine. They are beautiful to look and I am told as the summer tomatoes ripen, the sandwiches get even better.





Having a garden is a great way to go green and save money on groceries. You don't need a huge garden to make a difference. Try growing herbs in a window box or planter on your porch. How are you going green?

1 comment:

  1. Eh, I'll just buy offsets, lol

    I've never had a garden. My parents never kept one and honestly I wouldn't know the first thing about starting one. I do think it's a very cool thing though. I'd feel all Jane if I could make my own groceries. haha

    ReplyDelete