Monday, March 16, 2009

A Twist on a Classic

My Mama has been making chicken pot pie for years and years, so when she told me that she made some over the weekend I knew I had to have some. Knowing that if I tried to make mine like hers that I would most likely be disappointed, I gave mine a twist by using curry. I love curry. I am a huge fan of Asian food and red, green, yellow, and masaman curry is at the top of my list. The only thing I don't like about it, is the way it makes your house smell after you cook with it, so I opened all of the windows and lit a candle. That seemed to do the trick.


To start with, pre-heat the oven to 350.

This recipe calls for chicken broth and cooked chicken. Kill 2 birds with one stone by boiling a couple chicken breasts for a little while. By doing so, you get your broth and cooked chicken.





While the chicken is boiling, chop up an onion and some celery.





When the chicken is done, chop it up and reserve 1.5 cups of stock.






Heat a skillet over medium heat and saute 4 cups of frozen veggies until they are golden. Remove to a bowl until they are needed later.




Warm up some milk and the chicken stock in a small sauce pan and get some butter going in the skillet where the veggies were.


Saute the onion and celery in butter, and add more butter when they are finished.




Stir in some flour and curry.







Whisk in the warm milk and stock until all of the flour is incorporated and creamy.





Season with salt, pepper and parsley.




Add back the veggies and chopped up chicken and stir together.





Pour into a casserole dish and top with biscuits. I used canned, but you can always make your own. Spread them out some to cover the veggies and chicken.





Bake until the biscuits are golden.




Enjoy! I really loved this twist on a classic. My husband, Mark, must not have heard me say curry because he looked at me with a funny expression on his face after he took the first bite. I asked him if he liked it and he said he did but that there was something weird about it. After I told him curry was in it, he had 3 helpings, so I guess he really did like it.





I took the leftovers for lunch the next day and gave some to Mama. She said it was good but that it was spicy. I don't know about spicy but I do know it was really good. Try it out. Make it your own. Change the crust. Use different veggies or even, leave out the curry. Just have fun in the kitchen.

1 comment: